Saturday, April 25, 2015

Cooking - Round 2

And now serving …again…

Did I ever mention that I love to cook? I love it so much that it gives me a good feeling to see the happy faces enjoying the food I prepared for them …because I make everything with “love” in mind (that’s what my case manager told me after sampling my enchiadas).

Just turned 46 on Tuesday …so what better way to celebrate it by cooking a special dinner for everyone! In a way, it was my birthday gift back to my friends …mothers with children …single men, et al. And the dinner of choice – my famous enchiladas with Spanish rice!

This was a tougher challenge than making lasagna …rolling tortillas shells with meat mixture isn’t easy (even burned myself a little on the arm – first battle wound!) …especially with people watching and waiting for more enchiladas. They loved the smell and vibrant flavors that burst through the meat …loved the spiciness in the cheese sauce. I have requests for personal pans of enchiladas from a couple of men.

Like the last time, people LOVED it!

It was exciting and something new for them to try …didn’t even make them spicy like I usually make it if I had my own place. They wanted more …and more …and more …some came down for seconds (that’s when I ran out of enchiladas to serve). In the end, my feet were seriously hurting …arms were hurting from carrying heavy pans and boy, did I smell like onions and garlic – again.

It’s amazing how my cooking sparked lively conversations amongst the residents …compliments from the kitchen and staff (they want me to make enchiladas every night!) …kids were finally eating something they could enjoy. In other words, my gift made everyone feel special as if it was their birthday.

PLUS – there NO chicken on the menu for dinner! I think that’s what made everyone happy.

Luckily, I saved the last two enchiladas (I didn’t eat before dinner service began because I wanted people to eat and enjoy my cooking …it’s something I do when cooking – always serving myself last).

Now, I have the difficult task of coming up with something to cook in two weeks. I’m torn between making meatloaf (if I do that, I would have to kick out the entire kitchen …can’t give away my secret recipe!) or something for the kids in mind …like pizza – pepperoni pizza in fact. I’m leaning towards the pizza because I want the kids to have a fun meal to eat since shelter meals aren’t really designed with them in mind.

*smiles*

Oh yeah …starting Monday, I shall embark on obtaining my food sanitation license here at ASHF …soon you can call me “chef” …but cook is just fine. Not into fancy titles …cooking to me is about passion …making people happy and feel loved.

Who knows – maybe one day, you might be a guest at my restaurant …already have a name for it – it’s quite simple with four little letters…

No comments:

Post a Comment