Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Test Subject ASHF...

Ever get that sneaky suspicion the whole world is watching you? If not, lucky you. Here at Safe Haven – EVERYONE watches you especially you’re not part of some clique or group. I enjoy being the “weird one” because (a) I don’t listen to rap or hip hop, (b) don’t watch Empire (it’s a good Fox series but you don’t have to watch it all of the time to understand the storyline), (c) am quite different from the other single moms – I tend to keep to myself and stay FAR FAR away from trouble.

In other words, I’m the same person as before I went to that shelter …quiet, keeps to herself, doesn’t cause any trouble, etc.

Yet, here, I feel like I’m a test tube subject however I don’t enjoy being stared at every time I enter the hallway or cafeteria. It’s very uncomfortable and unwelcoming as if to say “what will the Vega duo do today”. Even my teen daughter gets stared at – only because some residents have this fascination with her hair. Yes she has “good hair” …now try explaining what “good hair” means to 12 year old Latina teen. I can’t explain it but I’ve heard it all my life. I told her it’s a racial obsession amongst the African-American culture …go figure. Only because her hair isn’t perm ie processed with harsh chemical and whatnot to make it super stiff and straight. It’s au natural and it’s going to stay that way too …until she dyes it the color that she picked out long ago.

Anyway, as a “test subject”, people constantly watch you …and your every move. From the residents to the staff, you’re constantly on your guard not to slip up. This nervous-wrecking feeling has brought out my OCD in the worse way. And I don’t like it. Have to make sure the bed is made correctly (military style), the room is clean, everything is put away neatly, etc etc Since I’m a quiet person who keeps to herself and don’t cause any trouble (except that one time – which I might mention later), people really take notice of you. It’s daunting being placed in this situation. Watched and observed and vice versa. Hope they’re enjoying the show. They (the staff mostly) are only doing this because of my daughter. Then again I ask – what does her mental health have to do with your organization or how she’s handling life here? Her depression has nothing to do with being in a homeless shelter …people get a freakin’ clue! This started WAY before we entered your door.

*sighs*

There’s no escaping that label of “test subject”. If I sound frustrated in throughout this blog entry, I am. Don’t know how long I can take this place …some days I’m barely hanging on by a very thin thread. At some point, I do feel like I will break and go berserk …something you personally don’t want to witness. I’ve done it before …and my daughter can tell you – it takes time for me to return to my “normal” state of mind and person.

People around here need to get a new hobby and stop watching us. Leave us alone.


Push the wrong button …and watch me explode like a hissing tea kettle…

No comments:

Post a Comment