Saturday, February 28, 2015

Meet the Staff...

While my stay here at A Safe Haven Foundation hasn’t been the most pleasant or without any problems, I have met a group of colorful characters who work within the structure of this non-profit organization. Real people whom I see day to day, week after week whether it’s in the hallways or in classroom (yep, while residing at this particular shelter we are given time management sheets listing which groups ie classes to attend). Some I admire …others have my utmost respect …then there are others who receive neither because their “first impression” rubbed me the wrong way. And my mother has always said “…you only get one first impression so make it a good one…”

So let’s meet some of the people ie staff members of A Safe Haven Foundation…

One person you really have to meet is Ms. Brown from the “cheerleader” of the Education Department. She’s quite the MOST colorful staff member here with her overly exuberant excitement during the weekly community meetings to get everyone “…on board the education train…” spiel. As whacky as is sounds, you have to see her in action as she paces up and down the aisle to get the cafeteria full of residents to sign up for the free programs they offer here. This shelter offers classes in culinary skills to welding as well as GED/Adult Education and Financial Literacy …even computer classes for beginners and intermediate level. So far, I have completed the Financial Literacy class (received a diploma too!) taught by Mr. Bush (we’ll meet him in a moment). What really makes Ms. Brown such a colorful character is that she livens up what really is a boring though informative community meeting every Monday night. Her little spiel has people laughing hysterically in their seats …and don’t think she doesn’t notice either. Her idioms and phrases may be from forty years (or so) ago but they still ring some truth today. Her job isn’t limited to telling us about the education programs. She also teaches the New Resident classes, works in the computer lab and couple of other classes during the day. In actuality, she’s one of the nicest instructors to talk to.

Another woman you should meet while staying at A Safe Haven is Ms Dorothy. She has led one interesting life (thus far) …she’s been in jail (too numerous to count), has been a resident herself at another homeless shelter, now currently a college student and aspiring actress who loves being in front of the camera. That’s barely touching the iceberg of her life. What makes her earn my respect and admiration – she will be blunt and tell you like it is without the run-around or flowery excuses. If you want to be in the know about how things are actually run or want to know to address a complaint/grievance about your stay as a ASHF client, you need to see Ms. Dorothy. She will definitely tell you how to go about doing it without sounding like you’re the street environment. My first time meeting her was when I started attending her Friday night “Life Skills” sessions where we would watch movies (some of her favorites as well as mine) like Pauline, Cooley High. However, it’s her take on what really happening inside this shelter is what keeps me focused on my goal – getting the heck out of here asap. And though I haven’t really talked to her about my situation with another staff member (who shall be dubbed as the “Dragon Lady”), I took her advice to heart and address my problems in a detailed written 3 page letter (the first time) and another one (recently in which I covered my tracks by giving copies to my caseworker, attorney, and others I trust to see I mean business). Still, she’s only person (besides my caseworker) who deals with reality as it should be and doesn’t give a flying f*ck what the other staff members think or say about her and her opinionated personality. Oh just to warn you – get to class early or by 7:30p or you will be denied entry if you arrive at 7:35p. More importantly, just be prepared to know things about ASHF that they really don’t teach you during the new resident classes.


Ms Kim L is my caseworker and ever since the first day I met her, we instantly connected. However, get on her bad side and she could be your worst enemy. Just do what you have to do …attend classes …look for a job …search for an apartment …stay out of trouble etc etc and you’ll be in her “cool” book. Ms Kim always has my back even though she wasn’t privy to certain information prior to my move back into the main site without any reason or justification. Yep, she gave me sound advice about how to handle the situation …still waiting for the end result of this problem. I like her. She’ll advocate her butt off for you whenever her supervisor aka “Dragon Lady” or Ms S (ASHF Program Manager) are on your back. Her schedule is quite busy because she does SO much during her short time here …defusing arguments and problems to recommending us to programs and housing assignments. For example, women and kids were forced to eat outside (in the freezing cold …and I’m not joking about this) because they had brought food from the outside after the time in which women with kids could eat. That not only pissed off Ms. Kim but also the Nelli (the head of ASHF) – not acceptable. Or another time, Ms Shelia (another staff member) was kicking women and their children out of the cafeteria while they were in the middle of eating dinner so the CSAP (the county monitoring program) women could eat. That and the one mentioned in prior raised a HUGE ruckus here amongst the residents. Other things like changing the menu to something more kid friendly and more activities for them …just a small look at what she has to deal with on her caseload. And she’s good at what she does too.

Next, meet Mr. Bush. He teaches a parenting (non) class and financial literacy. I highly recommend taking both classes especially the financial literacy. He’s one of the few intelligent people I’m able to have an “adult” conversation without being or feeling talked down to because I’m a resident at a homeless shelter. He’s very straightforward about his information on both subjects. I enjoyed attending the financial literacy every Thursday night for about 45 minutes learning how to budget, save and invest wisely with my money. And then there's Mr. Eric and I admire him the most. I first had him as my goal setting class and now I have him for one of two life skills classes every Tuesday night from 7:30 to 8:30. Another intelligent person you should meet at ASHF. Why? Because he doesn’t let his disability (has no arms) be an excuse for not succeeding. I don’t want to know how or what happened – it’s not any of my business however I do know he used to work at the Library of Congress in D.C. before coming to ASHF as an instructor. He’s really cool …another person who will tell it to you without beating around the bush. It’s straightforward and sometimes very blunt. During life skills class, our opinions do matter in which our discussions might take the class over its allotted time. Both men don't look down or see you as a homeless person ...they treat you with the respect you deserve as a person which entails you to respect them back. Also before I forget ...another male you should know is Mr. Dallas - one of few that I know who enjoys classical music. Sitting in his cubicle during the intake process was pleasant since he playing some of my favorite classical compositions (I'm a HUGE Mozart fan though I enjoy others like Debussy, Chopin Handel, Beethoven and more). It was refreshing after my LONG weekend being locked inside this glass gilded cage to hear something other than that same two-count hip hop/rap beat where I lived on my floor.

There are others ...I might mention them later or not. However these are the ones who deserve to be mentioned in this blog episode today....

No comments:

Post a Comment