Saturday, March 28, 2015

SouthSide's Back on the Town...

The old me is gradually making a comeback…

Last night, I reviewed my very first band at the same place where I reviewed my final show of 2014. With my daughter, I was at Old Town School of Folk Music to learn a few new dance moves before seeing Kreyol Roots perform for my other blog. It was strange at first to be outside the walls of A Safe Haven beyond the 7p curfew before yet it was refreshing to feel the cooling winter breeze and the excitement of another fun night “on the town” at the same time again. And being a music blogger for nearly 9 years, you “expertly” know the CTA bus schedule and system to memory. So I knew I would have no problems getting back to the shelter before the 11:30p curfew that I’ve set up with my caseworker.

We got back with 40 minutes to spare …and you could tell people were watching and wondering if I would get back in time. How do I know this? Oh the little things people do or not do …it’s all about body language …the tone of their voice …the way they look at you  - the surprise and shock that I’m back at the shelter before the late curfew expired. Did I ever mention I’m quite observant? It’s a gift as well as a curse …being a music blogger/press person for so long you pick up on certain things about people and the way they communicate to you. They don’t have to say much to tell you what they’re thinking. And I certainly got a lot of that upon my return.

Who cares!

I was SouthSide of SouthSide On The Town blog again …roaming the city streets covering a fun reggae-world fusion band at this legendary music venue in the heart of Lincoln Square last night. It was great to smell the grease paint and alcohol (no SouthSide doesn’t drink while working …in fact she has never touched a drop…) in the air …to be amongst the hustle and bustle of a Friday crowd scene in this diverse neighborhood …to hurry along the busy sidewalks as others travel to and from the bars or restaurants up and down Lincoln Avenue. Ah …what a feeling to have again! I loved it but probably won’t do it again for a while. The show I went to last night I was able to bring my teen daughter …my usual Friday night takes me to places where it’s 21+ only …there a few AA (all-ages) shows happening however they may be in the burbs or places where I would need an overnight pass to cover. So, this was a rare Friday night I could share with my teen.

Oh, by the way, my teen thought the band was awesome …my review and pictures coming soon on my other blog – http://southsideonthetown.blogspot.com.

Anyway, on Sunday, you shall find SouthSide and her teen at the House of Blues rockin’ out to another band …do expect pictures and review of that show….


Oh in other news – I shall be cooking dinner for the shelter.

Yeah, I know. It’s still shocking for me too.

Long story but here’s the short version. Yesterday during lunch (in which I’m never there for but since my daughter was ill and had to pick her up from school early), I made a comment about the chef’s spaghetti. I said I don’t eat anyone’s spaghetti unless I made it myself. So he dared me to try some of his. Had to admit it was good …could use a little less sauce but some mushrooms and garlic. That’s when my daughter said “you should cook with them” and the chef agreed. He said pick a day when I could come in the kitchen and make something. On Thursday – I shall be making my famous lasagna with spinach in the cheese mixture (I learned if you put veggies within the cheese mixture aka ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan …kids will eat it! I do the same with my meatloaf but I’m not giving them that secret). I’m nervous yet cannot wait to chop, dice, mix and eat my own cooking again!

Already gave him a short list of things I will need to make dinner minus one. You can’t buy it at any grocery store. That other “secret” ingredient for making lasagna – I add a dash of “love”…


Don’t worry, I shall report how dinner turns out…

No comments:

Post a Comment