Wednesday, March 4, 2015

"...the keys to your new home..."

Keys

Having a pair of keys may seem trivial as well as unimportant you. However to a homeless person, it's means normalcy ...the freedom to come and go as they please ...without having being told when to eat or what to eat ...normalcy ...a life beyond the walls of A Safe Haven Foundation. 

Keys ...I had such a pair when my daughter and I were moved into the apartment room in a building known as "Richmond" (named after it's location). And during that brief time outside and beyond the confines of the main building site of ASHF, we enjoyed a bit of normalcy though there were chores to do ...rules to follow and classes to attend. However there was normalcy and a bit of freedom while living there.

I was able to shop and cook my own food. Ah ...to have FRESH vegetables rather than whatever the kitchen staff considers "fresh" to be ...it was nice to have cumin, peppers, jalapenos, cilantro, sugar snap peas and many other veggies in my diet again. Though it made me sick for a couple of days but it was wonderful to eat "healthy" without the cafeteria grease. My daughter enjoyed it the most because she was eating again (she had lost a lot of weight by not eating the food since arriving - it will definitely try to kill ya). Stir fry cooking ...tex-mex meals ...pizza! 

Yes, it nice being able to cook again. Plus my roommate never met a person like myself who would bring home the vegetable aisle nearly every week. I don't do canned (unless it's water chestnuts) or processed food products. It has to be fresh and spiced with seasonings and spices.

Also while at "Richmond", there was peace and quiet. Finally, I was able to get a decent night's rest without hearing the yelling, screaming, gossip and "...I'm going to *bleep* *bleep* your ass if you don't..." from the mothers on the second floor. Since we mainly kept to ourselves while at the main site (and still do), we practiced the same while at "Richmond". We got up at the same time leaving around 8a and didn't return home until 5p or so ...just in time to cook a small meal and then head to class. I like disappearing from the site all day ...it's all about normalcy. Don't get me wrong I could stay at ASHF and use their free wi-fi connection (since my laptop is set up for that) however I like hanging out at the library near my daughter's school during the week ...away from the noise and gossip ...away from those who like getting into other people's business except their own.

Normalcy and keys...

The goal now that I'm back at the main site - "Richmond" is designed for mothers with one small child from 0 to 5yrs old ...not moms with teenaged children - is getting my own set of keys. It's a process since I'm looking for a job ...something to do in between finishing this book and reviewing the local music scene (which I have taken a hiatus from - nightly curfews of 7p hinders that part of my life).

Can't wait have keys so my daughter and I can return to normalcy again...

No comments:

Post a Comment