Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Two months and so later....

Two months and counting…

That’s how long I’ve been at ASHF …hopefully not for long. Spring has sprung (sort of) and it’s time to enjoy the fresh air …warm sun …longer daylight hours and the hot rockin’ music scene that will soon explode in Chicago. The last statement – I need to be a part of that again. I miss it so much. Hanging out with my bands …friends …fans …celebrities …and my “stalkers” (I actually do have a stalker or two). MORE importantly my time here at this shelter is numbered and I’m SO ready to flee …as soon as I gain employment and housing.

That’s the goal, folks.

The “air” in this place is stifling …there’s no room to breathe or feel “free”. This is why I tend to “disappear” most days when taking my daughter to school. I honestly cannot for the life of me understand how anyone stay within these walls all day long. Unless you’re in a “class” aka Computer Learning …Life Skills …etc – there’s basically nothing to do here except lounge around …hang out on the computers (if available and or not used for a class) …or whatever most people do when their hands are idle.

“Idle hands…” – something someone very dear to me once told me.

I don’t have idle hands. My hands are busy applying for positions and typing pages for this book I’m writing …to which I’m ALMOST finished – YES! It’s a major accomplishment and (hopefully) it will be completed on time since an official completion date has been set. Let’s just say – it’s getting really, really, REALLY good. More about that later as I approach the due date.

Back to being at ASHF – I’ve learned to navigate the system …the pecking order as it were. Whom to avoid or not associate myself with to whom I should align myself with but from a safe distance. It’s almost like “keep your friends close and your enemies closer” type of scenario. Yet, in my case, I’m keeping all fronts closer than ever. My skills as an observant music blogger comes quite in handy when analyzing residents at this place. I’m not here to make friends or join a clique …I’m here for one thing only.

That being said - you would be amazed by the things I know and see as well as heard. Not going to give anything away but if I was to write my life story today …gawd, what sordid tales I could tell and secrets I would definitely expose especially about living inside a homeless shelter. It may not be the glamorous part of my life at the moment but I do keep it real and somewhat exciting …always an adventure these days…

…but for now – the goal is to be “free” …to breathe in the fresh air …and rock with the music scene again.

Summer comes extremely fast and I definitely do not was to be still here missing out on the fun that comes with it…

In other news – the food here is sort of improving. It’s a gradual improvement actually. One Sunday for dinner – they served meatballs with spicy marinara sauce (so delicious – we had two plates) …however they need to serve something other than chicken. When I leave here, chicken will NOT be on the menu at my place for a while! It’s not that they don’t know how to cook chicken but they have run out of ways to serve it. And pouring sweet and sour sauce over cut chicken pieces does not constitute that it’s sweet-n-sour chicken. That’s just sauce poured over chicken pieces. They recently did try to serve meatloaf – HA! I trust no one’s meatloaf except my own and my mom’s. All others are crap and you can definitely quote me on that! I did enjoy they “honey” flavored chicken they had one day. Now, they need to add some BBQ sauce …or at least have chicken nuggets or strips for the kids. Today it was “chop suey” …heard it was good. Unless it has fresh veggies and noodles – it’s not good to me. I don’t “do” canned veggies with my cooking. Something I miss doing SO terribly. Anyway – chicken is about the only thing here that’s safe …besides the eggs (sometimes they’re too runny …swimming because they’re not cooked fully) and the salad bar – but leave the black olives out of the greens! They did try to serve a burrito type taco – mine’s better …of course. Sunday – the turkey/ham sandwiches were totally not appealing. I like my daughter’s suggestion – pizza. There should be a pizza night here …and I don’t mean the nasty-looking pizza casserole they served in January that looked as if they had a pizza …dropped it on the floor and mashed it into a casserole dish.

One day …the kitchen staff will get it right…


…or not…

No comments:

Post a Comment